When frosting layer cakes, the first step is usually leveling off the top of the cake layers. It seems a crime to throw out such a tasty thing, so here are a few ideas for using the scraps.
- Cut small circles from the tops, split them if necessary, sandwich them with leftover frosting, and make mini whoopie pies.
- Layer pieces in pudding for a trifle.
- Make mini shortcakes with cake scraps, whipped cream, and fruit.
- Crumble and toast to make sweet crunchies to top ice cream or decorate a cake.
- Grill the cake rounds and top with grilled pineapple and a butter-rum sauce.