• Use only the smallest amount of fat or oil—enough to lightly coat the bottom of the pan and prevent the food from sticking.
• Use medium-high to high heat—hot enough to make the food sizzle, sputter, and even jump a little the instant it hits the pan.
• Keep the food in nearly constant motion, by stirring with a utensil or actually flipping the pan, so that it browns evenly.
• Choose fast-cooking foods: cutlets, vegetable pieces, shrimp.
• Use fats such as clarified butter, vegetable oil, or a mix of whole butter and oil.