Browned butter is the key ingredient in these decadent cookies. The extra step of browning the butter is well worth the added effort for the incredible flavor that it contributes to the cookies (and the heavenly fragrance that will fill your kitchen)!
1 1/4 cups butter
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla
1 1/2 Tbsp. rum
4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup pecans, very finely chopped (for rolling)
1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Brown butter: in a frying pan over medium heat melt butter. Continue to heat, stirring constantly until butter foams up and begins to turn amber and fragrant (3-10 minutes). Remove from heat and pour browned butter into a medium bowl. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
3) In a separate small bowl combine dry ingredients (flour through salt) and set aside.
4) Add brown sugar to cooled brown butter and beat well to combine. Add eggs and beat until smooth. Add vanilla and rum and mix until combined.
5) Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients in 2-3 additions, mixing between additions.
6) Chill dough in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours until firm, or in freezer for later use.
7) Roll 1 - 1 1/2" balls of chilled dough in finely chopped pecans, pressing pecans firmly into dough. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and flatten balls slightly.
8) Bake for 12 - 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through. Allow to cool.
Makes approximately 6 dozen cookies.