The perfect hearty and flavorful Tuscan inspired butternut squash soup recipe with Italian sausage and rosemary.
- 1/2 yellow onion, medium dice (¼" x ¼")
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 butternut squash, 1 inch cubes
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 3 cups of chicken stock or broth
- 8 white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Italian sausages (removed from casing)
- Chives, sliced for garnish (if desired)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, then add enough olive oil to thinly coat the surface. Add onions and sauté until translucent, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add squash, rosemary and 1-teaspoon salt, stir, then cover. Cook over medium low heat until squash is tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Check every 10 minutes, and stir if needed.
- Remove rosemary and puree ingredients in blender or with immersion stick blender until a smooth puree consistency is achieved. Add the puree back into the pot if removed. Gradually add the chicken stock or broth to the squash puree, a half-cup at a time and stir into the pureed squash. Add enough liquid until a desired consistency is reached. Adjust the soup seasoning with salt an pepper to taste. Cover and keep the soup warm over low heat.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat, then add enough olive oil to thinly coat the surface. Add the garlic and mushrooms, ensuring not to brown the garlic. Add to the pureed soup once cooking is complete.
- In the same pan over medium heat, add the sausage, breaking down into smaller pieces and cook through. Add to the pureed soup.
- Reheat the soup if needed, taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Garnish the soup with sliced chives.