Heat the oven to 400°F. Slice each pineapple quarter lengthwise into 4-strips. Put the strips on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment. Brush the strips with some of the melted butter and sprinkle with half the brown sugar. Roast the strips for 10 min. and then turn them over with tongs. Brush with more butter and top with the remaining brown sugar. Bake until the juices are bubbling in the pan and the pineapple is light gold, another 5 to 10 min. Set the baking sheet on a wire rack to cool. Serve in strips or cut each strip crosswise into 5 or 6 chunks (if you are using this recipe to make Roasted Pineapple Tart or Roasted Pineapple & Coconut Shortcakes).
Other uses for roasted pineapple:
Roasted pineapple is delicious, warm or at room temperature, in several simple preparations:
• Serve chunks or slices with vanilla ice cream.
• Stir diced chunks into your next batch of banana bread or lemon cake.
• Toss some into an apple pie or galette.
• Chop and use to flavor a buttercream frosting.
• Chop and then season with a pinch of nutmeg, a little ground cinnamon, and a bit of grated orange zest; use as a cheesecake topping or a turnover filling.
• Chop and toss with a pinch of ground cumin, ground coriander, a splash of balsamic vinegar, and some chopped fresh mint to make a roasted pineapple "chutney."
nutrition information (per serving):
per 1/2 cup serving;
Photo: Amy Albert