Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Check Icon Print Icon Note Icon Heart Icon Filled Heart Icon Single Arrow Icon Double Arrow Icon Hamburger Icon TV Icon Close Icon Sorted Hamburger/Search Icon

Sauté Pan or Skillet?

Fine Cooking Issue 71

What’s the difference between a sauté pan, skillet, fry pan, and omelet pan? It depends on whom you ask. Most cooking schools teach that a sauté pan has sloped sides, the better to make food jump and moisture evaporate. But most cookware manufacturers and catalogs call such slope-sided pans either a skillet, fry pan, or omelet pan. (Their size is measured by the diameter across the top, e.g., 10-inch, 12-inch.)

According to the manufacturers, a sauté pan has straight sides and is measured by its volume (e.g., 3-quart, 5-quart). Even though it contradicts the definitions we learned in culinary school, at Fine Cooking, we’ve adopted the names used by the industry to avoid confusion.

Save to Recipe Box
Add Private Note
Saved Add to List

    Add to List

Add Recipe Note


Leave a Comment


Leave A Comment

Your email address will not be published.


View All


Follow Fine Cooking on your favorite social networks

We hope you’ve enjoyed your free articles. To keep reading, subscribe today.

Get the print magazine, 25 years of back issues online, over 7,000 recipes, and more.