by Barbara Lynch
from Fine Cooking #130, p. 56
This Summer Tomato Jam is so good that I’ll eat it with a spoon right out of the jar while waiting for my bread to toast in the morning. It’s great on burgers in place of ketchup or served alongside grilled lamb or salmon. It also pairs exceptionally well with cheeses and cured meats. My spicy version complements sweeter flavors, such as corn (mix some into grilled corn stripped o the cob for a spectacular side) or caramelized onions (dab some on pizza, top with the onions and some blue cheese, and be wowed). For even more ways to use the jam, see the list below. If nothing there strikes your fancy, there’s always the spoon.
- Slather on a grilled cheese sandwich.
- Stir into a lentil or coconut curry soup.
- Dollop on a bowl of white beans.
- Serve with fried eggs and bacon.
- Garnish a crab cake.
- Use as the T in a BLT.
- Toss with avocado for a quick relish.
- Substitute for some of the molasses in baked beans.
- Smear on a biscuit or bruschetta with a creamy cheese.
- Whisk into a vinaigrette.
- Add red pepper flakes for a spicy jam and mix some into grilled corn stripped off the cob.
- Dab the spicy jam on a pizza, top with caramelized onions and some blue cheese.
Get the recipe: Summer Tomato Jam
Photos by Scott Phillips