Cornbread, collard greens, pecans, sweet potatoes and grits add a touch of Southern flair to the traditional Thanksgiving dinner.
Two days ahead
- Make the tart dough, roll out, and chill.
A day ahead
- Make the cornbread for the stuffing.
- Finish and bake the pecan rum tart. Lightly cover with plastic wrap.
- Make the turkey giblet broth for the gravy.
5 hours before dinner
- Prep turkey for roasting.
- If cooking stuffing inside your turkey, make the stuffing and put it in the bird.
4 hours before dinner
- Put turkey in the oven.
- Make the biscuits.
3 hours before dinner
- Flip turkey and continue to roast.
- Prep all the ingredients for the spoonbread and collards.
2 hours before dinner
- Make the spoonbread.
An hour before dinner
- If baking the stuffing separately, put it in the oven.
- Make the creamy collards, keep warm.
30 minutes before dinner
- Take turkey out of the oven, and let it rest.
- Raise the oven temperature to 400°F and put the spoonbread in to bake. If the stuffing is still baking in the oven, it can continue at 400°F, but keep an eye on it; it will be ready before the spoonbread is finished.
- Make the gravy.
- 2 large heads (about 3 lb. total) collard greens, washed, stemmed, and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3-4 large onions
- 2 medium bell peppers, one red and one green
- 4 ribs celery
- 1 small carrot
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 small bunch fresh chives
- 1 small bunch fresh dill
- 1 head garlic
- 1 medium shallot
Meat, Eggs & Dairy
- One 14-lb. turkey (preferably fresh and natural), with neck and giblets
- 3/4 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 3-1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 6 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1-1/2 cups chopped Smithfield ham, other country-cured ham, or prosciutto
- 1-1/2 cups pecans
- 1-1/4 cups stone-ground grits
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3-4 cups homemade or low-salt canned chicken stock
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch cayenne (optional)
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)