Treat your mom (or just yourself) to a rack of spring lamb along with the best spring produce that’s in the market now–asparagus, carrots, fingerling potatoes, and strawberries.
Up to three days ahead:
- Make the vegetable broth for the carrot soup. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
The day before:
- Make the carrot soup and refrigerate until ready to serve.
In the morning:
- Bake the chocolate biscuits.
- Slice the strawberries and refrigerate, but do not combine with the sugar.
- Make the tarragon mayonnaise and refrigerate, covered.
One hour ahead:
- Sear and crust the racks of lamb.
- Blanch the asparagus.
- Prep the potatoes and begin braising them.
- Remove the mayonnaise from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature
30 minutes ahead:
- Heat the grill for the asparagus.
- Put the racks of lamb in the oven to roast.
- Gently reheat the soup.
- Dice the apple garnish for the soup and toss with lemon juice.
- Toss the asparagus with olive oil and salt.
Just before dinner:
- Pull lamb out of the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Grill the asparagus.
- Combine the strawberries with the sugar and let sit at room temperature.
- Reheat the biscuits in a 200 degree oven.
- Whip the cream.
- Assemble the shortcakes.
- 1-3/4 lb. carrots
- 1-1/2 lb. asparagus
- 1-3/4 lb. fingerling potatoes
- 4 pints strawberries
- 1 small Fuji apple
- 2 large lemons
- 1 medium onion
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 small rib celery
- 5 cloves garlic
- 6 medium shallots
- 4 medium leeks
- 1 medium chunk fresh ginger
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 1 large bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small bunch fresh tarragon
Meat, Eggs & Dairy:
- 2 racks of lamb, about 1-1/4 lb. each, chine bones removed, rib bones frenched
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 13 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups carrot juice, either homemade or store-bought
- 1 cup soft fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder, such as Droste
- 6-1/2 oz. semisweet chocolate, more for garnish
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 Tbs. baking powder
- 2-1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Kosher salt
- Table salt
- Black peppercorns